Map of Australia Art Idea
Connecting different areas of the curriculum with art can be tricky. Particularly geography!
Here is a quick and easy art idea that you can use to support the Australian Geography Curriculum in your classroom. It is particularly great for grades 3-4. Printables for this art activity can be found here.
What you will need:
- Neon paints (or any washable/acrylic paint of your choice)
- A3 cartridge paper
- Map of Australia printables
- Watercolour paints/Edicol Dyes
- Art Smocks
How to create your very own Australia Map work of art:
- Using the paintbrushes, paint over the A3 piece of paper in a single colour using the watercolour paints or Edicol Dyes. Set aside to dry.
- While these are drying, place a variety of different coloured acrylic or washable paints out for students to paint their maps of Australia. Encourage students to colour each state a different colour. Set aside to dry.
- Once dried, students can cut out their map of Australia (don’t be too pedantic about whether they cut on the lines or not – it just won’t happen! ;p) and the Australia title.
- Glue the map of Australia and the title onto the dried A3 watercolour page. Students can then use the States and Territories of Australia labels to locate the Capital Cities and States and Territories of Australia on their painted map.
ANNNDDD… You are done! Easy hey?! 🙂