Explaining how Australia’s democratic system works can often be a tricky topic to explain to primary school aged children. With the aide of these highly engaging activities and accompanying unit plan and powerpoint, designed to compliment the Australian Year 6 Civics and Citizenship curriculum (version 8.4 and 9.0), your students will not only begin to understand the history of this system and why we continue to use it today, but they will want to learn more as they work through the fun research activities included in the Lapbook.
The following Australian Curriculum Year 6 Civics and Citizenship (Version 8.4 and 9.0) content descriptor covered:
– the key institutions of Australia’s system of government, how it is based on the Westminster system, and the key values and beliefs of Western democracies AC9HS6K06
– the roles and responsibilities of the 3 levels of government in Australia AC9HS6K07
– The key institutions of Australia’s democratic system of government and how it is based on the Westminster system (ACHASSK143)
– The roles and responsibilities of Australia’s three levels of government (ACHASSK144)
– The responsibilities of electors and representatives in Australia’s democracy (ACHASSK145)
– Where ideas for new laws can come from and how they become law (ACHASSK146)
Topics covered include:
☺ The History of Democracy in Australia – the Monarchy, the Magna Carta, the Westminster System
☺ Australia’s Three Levels of Government – What are they? Who governs? What are their roles and responsibilities?
☺ Making a Law in Australia – follow the steps.
☺ Meet Our Prime Ministers
☺ If I Were Prime Minister – mini book
☺ Elector Responsibilities thought bubble
What you will receive after purchase:
✔ black and white lapbook templates
✔ a basic Unit Plan with website resource links to assist you in delivering the content
✔ instructions on how to assemble your Lapbook as well as how to assemble each each template to go inside the Lapbook.
✔ engaging informative Powerpoint
✔ making a law in Australia flowchart posters
✔ Australia’s 3 Levels of government flowchart posters and worksheets
✔ Australian Prime Ministers Posters
If you liked the look of this resource, you may also like these:
— Famous Australians – Prime Ministers of Australia Posters
— Making a Law in Australia Flowchart Posters
— Levels of Government in Australia Posters
Is there a rubric included in this resource?
How long should it take to complete these lapbook activities?
This Unit is designed to be implemented once a week over a 10 week term.
Can I share this resource with my teaching partner?
No. This product is for personal use only. Multiple licences are available for use among more than one person.
Please feel free to contact me with any questions.
Thank you so much,