Teaching your students about Australia’s First Contact can be fun and engaging! Designed to compliment the Year 4 Australian HASS curriculum (version 8.4 and 9.0), these lapbook activities, supporting powerpoint and word wall posters, are a great way to engage your students interests in the topic as well as expand their knowledge of the reasons for sending the First Fleet to Australia and what impact that had on the First Nations Australians who lived there.
PLEASE NOTE: this unit has been updated to comply with the new Australian Curriculum 9.0 standards. The old version (version 8.4) is also still included in this bundle for now while schools make the transition to the new curriculum.
This bundle includes the following products:
— The First Fleet Lapbook Activities and Unit Plan (version 8.4)
— The First Fleet Powerpoint (version 8.4)
— The First Fleet Word Wall
— Bonus Version 9.0 updates!! – including revised unit plan – assessment rubric included, powerpoint and a few additional activities to help support the curriculum changes
These lapbook activities, powerpoint and word wall posters compliment the following Australian Curriculum Year 4 History (version 8.4 and 9.0) content descriptors:
– The diversity of First Nations Australians, their social organisation and their continuous connection to Country/Place AC9HS4K01
– The causes of the establishment of the first British colony in Australia in 1788 AC9HS4K02
– The experiences of individuals and groups, including military and civilian officials, and convicts involved in the establishment of the first British colony AC9HS4K03
– The effects of contact with other people on First Nations Australians and their Countries/Places following the arrival of the First Fleet and how this was viewed by First Nations Australians as an invasion AC9HS4K04
– Stories of the First Fleet, including reasons for the journey, who travelled to Australia, and their experiences following arrival (ACHASSK085)
– The nature of contact between Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples and others, for example, the Macassans and the Europeans, and the effects of these interactions on, for example, people and environments (ACHASSK086)
Topics covered in this bundle include:
– Why the Europeans settled in Australia (Life in 18th century Britain, Crimes, Punishments, Solution, Preparations, Voyage, Convicts, Arrival)
– The impact of settlement on Australia’s First Nations people
Included in this resource:
– A basic Unit Plan (assessment rubric included for version 9.0)
– Lapbook activity templates
– Informative Powerpoint
– Word Wall Posters
– instructions on how to assemble your Lapbook as well as how to assemble each each template to go inside the Lapbook.
Take a look at some of the great feedback for this resource:
“This is a fantastic resource. Very engaging and really breaks down the important events for my students. Thank you!”
“My students have thoroughly enjoyed learning about the First Fleet in a creative way.”
“Easy for students to understand, a great resource!”
“You have literally saved me hours of work….an absolutely amazing resource.”
If you liked the look of this resource, you may also like these:
– Year 4 Sustainability Unit
– Year 4 Science Unit bundle
If you want to connect with me further, check out Ridgy Didge on these social media platforms:
Please feel free to contact me with any questions.
Thank you so much,
There are no reviews yet.