Teaching your students about the First Fleet can be fun and engaging! Designed to compliment the Year 4 Australian HASS curriculum, these lapbook activities and supporting powerpoint and word wall posters, are a great way to engage your students interests in the topic as well as expand their knowledge of the reasons for sending the First Fleet to Australia and what impact that had on the Indigenous Australians and the convicts themselves.
These lapbook activities, powerpoint and word wall posters compliment the following Australian Curriculum Year 4 History content descriptors:
– Stories of the First Fleet, including reasons for the journey, who travelled to Australia, and their experiences following arrival (ACHASSK085)
– The nature of contact between Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples and others, for example, the Macassans and the Europeans, and the effects of these interactions on, for example, people and environments (ACHASSK086)
Topics covered in this bundle include:
– Why the Europeans settled in Australia (Life in 18th century Britain, Crimes, Punishments, Solution, Preparations, Voyage, Convicts, Arrival)
– Life in Sydney Cove (Food, Clothing, Work, Daily Life, Accommodation)
– First Fleet Timeline Sort
– iPhone Snapshot – students draw and describe what they would have seen as they approached the shores of Australia from the ships of the First Fleet.
– Diary writing – intended as an assessment but can be used in other ways, students take on the role of a convict and reflect on their life on board the First Fleet or in Sydney Cove
Included in this resource:
– A basic Unit Plan
– Lapbook activity templates
– Word Wall Posters
– Digital Student Notebook
– instructions on how to assemble your Lapbook as well as how to assemble each each template to go inside the Lapbook.
Take a look at some of the great feedback for this resource:
“This is a fantastic resource. Very engaging and really breaks down the important events for my students. Thank you!”
“My students have thoroughly enjoyed learning about the First Fleet in a creative way.”
“Easy for students to understand, a great resource!”
“You have literally saved me hours of work….an absolutely amazing resource.”
Please feel free to contact me with any questions.
Thank you so much,