Changing Matter Year 6 Unit Plan and Activities
Help your students understand the reversible and irreversible nature of changes of state with this unit plan and activity pack. Bring chemical sciences to life as the unit plan walks you through everything you need to thoroughly cover the ACSSU095 (version 8.4) and AC9S6U04 (version 9.0) element of the Australian Science Year 6 curriculum. Fun for students, easy for you to implement and an irresistible way to help young minds explore how matter can change from one form to another temporarily or permanently.
PLEASE NOTE: this unit has been updated to comply with the new Australian Curriculum 9.0 standards. The old version (version 8.4) is also still included in this bundle for now while schools make the transition to the new curriculum.
The Complete Primary School Chemical Sciences Unit
Bring the fun back into learning about changing states of matter as you guide your students through the following Australian Curriculum 8.4 and 9.0 Year 6 Science content descriptors:
– compare reversible changes, including dissolving and changes of state, and irreversible changes, including cooking and rusting that produce new substances AC9S6U04
– Changes to materials can be reversible or irreversible (ACSSU095)
The content covered in this unit includes:
– States of Matter (review)
– Changing Matter – exploring reversible/irreversible changes through making pancakes
– Changing Matter – exploring reversible/irreversible changes by applying heat to various solids”
– Changing Matter – Can you un-mix a mixture?
– Changing Matter – Using filters to un-mix mixtures
– Changing Matter – exploring the effects of rust
– Changing Matter – exploring how recycling uses the knowledge of reversible/irreversible changes to make new products
– Assessment – bake a cake investigation plus an additional assessment sheet
Your purchase includes:
– Unit Plan – internet links are provided in some lessons to support the lesson content. Internet connection will be required for these lessons.
– Assessment Rubric
– Activity Bundle – this activity bundle includes a variety of activities including worksheets, experiments and suggested assessment activities.
If you liked the look of this resource, you may also like these:
– Complete Australian Curriculum Year 5/6 Health Unit Bundle
– Complete Australian Curriculum Year 6 HASS Unit Bundle
– Year 6 Science Unit – Electricity
Can I share this resource with my teaching partner?
No. This product is for personal use only. Multiple licences are available for use among more than one person.
On what size paper is this resource best printed?
This resource is designed to be printed on A4 sized paper. To fit other paper sizes, ensure you hit ‘fit to page’ before printing.
Thank you so much,
This unit plan is a guide only. Teachers should use discretion when implementing. some questions have been provided to help guide students thinking but more specific questions should be added to develop conversation and deeper learning. Students should be encouraged to ask questions themselves as well.
Please note: the internet is required to follow some lessons in this unit plan.
This is a digital product only. It will be sent to you by email to download once payment has been processed.