States of Matter Year 5 Unit Plan and Activities
Help your students understand what the observable properties of solids, liquids and gases are with this unit plan and activity pack. Bring chemical sciences to life as the unit plan walks you through everything you need to thoroughly cover the ACSSU077 (version 8.4) and AC9S5U04 (version 9.0) element of the Australian Science Year 5 curriculum. Fun for students, easy for you to implement and an irresistible way to help young minds explore how adding or removing heat energy affects the particle movement in solids, liquids and gases!
PLEASE NOTE: this unit has been updated to comply with the new Australian Curriculum 9.0 standards. The old version (version 8.4) is also still included in this bundle for now while schools make the transition to the new curriculum.
The Complete States of Matter Unit
Bring the fun back into learning about the varying properties of solids, liquids and gases as you guide your students through the following Australian Curriculum Year 5 8.4 and 9.0 Science content descriptors:
– explain observable properties of solids, liquids and gases by modelling the motion and arrangement of particles AC9S5U04
– Solids, liquids and gases have different observable properties and behave in different ways (ACSSU077)
The content covered in this unit includes:
– States of Matter
– Changing State Investigation: Jelly Making
– Changing State Investigation: Ice-Cream in a Bag
– Changing State Investigation: Soda Spider
– Changing State Investigation: Self-Inflated Balloon
– Assessment: Design an experiment
– Reflection Changing State Investigation: Slime Art
Your purchase includes:
– Unit Plan – internet links are provided in some lessons to support the lesson content. Internet connection will be required for these lessons.
– Assessment Rubric
– Informative Powerpoint
– Activity Bundle – this activity bundle includes a variety of activities including worksheets, experiments and suggested assessment activities.
If you liked the look of this resource, you may also like these:
– Complete Australian Curriculum Year 5/6 Health Unit Bundle
– Complete Australian Curriculum Year 5 HASS Unit Bundle
Can I share this resource with my teaching partner?
No. This product is for personal use only. Multiple licences are available for use among more than one person.
On what size paper is this resource best printed?
This resource is designed to be printed on A4 sized paper. To fit other paper sizes, ensure you hit ‘fit to page’ before printing.
Thank you so much,
This unit plan is a guide only. Teachers should use discretion when implementing. some questions have been provided to help guide students thinking but more specific questions should be added to develop conversation and deeper learning. Students should be encouraged to ask questions themselves as well.
Please note: internet and YouTube access are required to follow the unit plan.
This is a digital product only. It will be sent to you by email to download once payment has been processed.