Light Year 5 Unit Plan and Activities
Help your students understand what light is and how we see it with this unit plan and activity pack. Bring physical sciences alive as the unit plan walks you through everything you need to thoroughly cover the ACSSU080 (version 8.4) and AC9S5U03 (version 9.0) element of the Australian Science Year 5 curriculum. Fun for students, easy for you to implement and an irresistible way to help young minds explore the properties of light!
PLEASE NOTE: this unit has been updated to comply with the new Australian Curriculum 9.0 standards. The old version (version 8.4) is also still included in this bundle for now while schools make the transition to the new curriculum.
The Complete Primary School Light Unit
Bring the fun back into learning about the varying properties of light as you guide your students through the following Australian Curriculum 8.4 and 9.0 Year 5 Science content descriptors:
– identify sources of light, recognise that light travels in a straight path and describe how shadows are formed and light can be reflected and refracted AC9S5U03
– Light from a source forms shadows and can be absorbed, reflected and refracted (ACSSU080)
The content covered in this unit includes:
– What is light?
– How does light travel?
– How are shadows formed?
– Opaque, Translucent, Transparent
– Bouncing Light
– How are Rainbows Formed?
Your purchase includes:
– Unit Plan – internet links are provided in some lessons to support the lesson content. Internet connection will be required for these lessons.
– Assessment Rubric
– Activity Bundle – this activity bundle includes a variety of activities including worksheets, experiments and suggested assessment activities.
If you liked the look of this resource, you may also like these:
– Complete Australian Curriculum Year 5/6 Health Unit Bundle
– Complete Australian Curriculum Year 5 HASS Unit Bundle
Can I share this resource with my teaching partner?
No. This product is for personal use only. Multiple licences are available for use among more than one person.
On what size paper is this resource best printed?
This resource is designed to be printed on A4 sized paper. To fit other paper sizes, ensure you hit ‘fit to page’ before printing.
Thank you so much,
This unit plan is a guide only. Teachers should use discretion when implementing. some questions have been provided to help guide students thinking but more specific questions should be added to develop conversation and deeper learning. Students should be encouraged to ask questions themselves as well.
Please note: internet and YouTube access are required to follow the unit plan.
This is a digital product only. It will be sent to you by email to download once payment has been processed.