Teaching your students about the early age of exploration can be fun and engaging! Designed to compliment the Year 4 Australian HASS curriculum, this highly engaging mystery unit, including supporting powerpoint, world explorer posters and printable activity sheets, is a great way to engage your students interests in the topic as well as expand their knowledge on the age of exploration, who the Macassans were and the impact they had on Aboriginal people.
This bundle includes the following:
– World Explorer Posters
– Unit Plan
– Informative Powerpoint
– Activity Bundle – including activities to further investigate famous world explorers, Australia’s Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders and the impact of the Macassans on the Aboriginal people.
These activities, powerpoint and posters compliment the following Australian Curriculum Year 4 History content descriptors:
– The diversity of Australia’s first peoples and the long and continuous connection of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples to Country/Place (land, sea, waterways and skies) (ACHASSK083)
– The journey(s) of AT LEAST ONE world navigator, explorer or trader up to the late eighteenth century, including their contacts with other societies and any impacts (ACHASSK084)
– The nature of contact between Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples and others, for example, the Macassans and the Europeans, and the effects of these interactions on, for example, people and environments (ACHASSK086)
Topics covered in this bundle include:
– What was the Age of Exploration? What motivated men and women to explore? What was the impact of the Age of Exploration?
– Who are Australia’s Indigenous Peoples? What is their connection to the land? How do they use its resources?
– Who were the Macassans? What relationship did they have with the Aboriginal people? Why did they come to Australia?
– World Explorers Matching Cards
– World Explorers Quiz
– Blank World Map
– Aboriginal Culture Flipbook
– Blank Map of Australia
– Mystery of the Macassans evidence pack – students use the evidence in the pack to work out who the Macassans were and then present their findings in the form of a powerpoint or poster.
If you liked the look of this resource, you may also like these:
– Year 4 Sustainability Unit bundle
– Year 4 Erosion Science Unit
If you want to connect with me further, check out Ridgy Didge on these social media platforms:
Please feel free to contact me with any questions.
Thank you so much,
There are no reviews yet.