Engage your students as they explore their local community, past and present, with this fun unit designed to compliment the Year 3 Australian HASS curriculum (version 9.0). Highly engaging, this unit includes printable activity sheets, classroom posters, multiple student assessment opportunities and a unit plan to guide your teaching sequence. It is a great way to engage your students interests in the topic as well as expand their knowledge of their local Indigenous community and the contributions of individuals to their local community, both past and present.
PLEASE NOTE: this unit has been updated to comply with the new Australian Curriculum 9.0 standards. The old version (version 8.4) is also still included in this bundle for now while schools make the transition to the new curriculum.
– Unit Plan
– Assessment Rubric (version 9.0 only)
– Editable Student Powerpoint Assessment template
– Activity Bundle – some activities may require the internet if you wish to extend your student’s knowledge and understanding of the topic.
– Classroom Posters – 2 options
– The importance of Country/Place to Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander Peoples who belong to a local area (ACHASSK062)
– How the community has changed and remained the same over time and the role that people of diverse backgrounds have played in the development and character of the local community (ACHASSK063)
– The representation of Australia as states and territories and as Countries/Places of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples; and major places in Australia, both natural and human (ACHASSK066)
Topics covered in this unit include:
– Identifying First Australians
– Local Indigenous Dialect
– Posing Questions
– Guest Speaker NB this will require prior organisation on behalf of the teacher administering the unit. Suggestions have been made in the unit on how to get in contact with your local Indigenous community.
– Our Community Then/Now
– Influential Community Members
– Assessment: Two options – My Place Power Point presentation & a postcard to acknowledge an influential community member.
If you liked the look of these crafts, you may also like these:
– Year 3 Science Unit Bundle
– Year 3&4 Health Unit Bundle
There are no reviews yet.