Year 1 and 2 safety lessons, activities and unit plan
Guide your Year 1 and 2 students through the Australian health curriculum content with these practical activities. Use these activities and unit plan to open a safe, age-appropriate classroom conversation that focuses on identifying safety issues and learning what to do when you don’t feel safe. Your students will become completely immersed in the topic as they build their confidence in managing safety situations.
PLEASE NOTE: this unit has been updated to comply with the new Australian Curriculum 9.0 standards. The old version (version 8.4) is also still included in this bundle for now while schools make the transition to the new curriculum.
Safety lessons and unit plan
With these health worksheets and unit plan, you’ll be well prepared to engage your students in this topic. These activities help your students reflect on safety hazards they will encounter in their home and community and what to do when they are faced with such hazards.
This bundle includes the following:
– Unit Plan
– Assessment Rubric
– Activity Bundle – including workbook, role-play phones and scenario cards
– Classroom Poster
These activities and unit plan cover the following Australian Curriculum Year 1 and 2 Health content descriptors:
– practise strategies they can use when they need to seek, give or deny permission respectfully AC9HP2P04
– identify and demonstrate protective behaviours and help-seeking strategies they can use to help them and others stay safe AC9HP2P05
– Practise strategies they can use when they feel uncomfortable, unsafe or need help with a task, problem or situation (ACPPS017)
– Recognise situations and opportunities to promote health, safety and wellbeing (ACPPS018)
– Examine health messages and how they relate to health decisions and behaviours (ACPPS021)
Topics covered in this unit include:
– Safe Vs Unsafe
– Being Assertive
– Sun Safety
– Medicine Safety
– Bike Safety
– Looking for Help
– Contacting Emergency Services
– Pool Safety
– Electrical Safety
– Fire Safety
If you liked the look of this resource, you may also like these:
If you want to connect with me further, check out Ridgy Didge on these social media platforms:
– – –
Please feel free to contact me with any questions.
Thank you so much,