Changing Materials Year 1 Unit Plan and Activities
Help your students understand the how materials can be changed physically with this changing materials unit plan and activity bundle. Bring chemical science to life as the unit plan walks you through everything you need to thoroughly cover the (ACSSU018) element of the Australian Science Year 1 curriculum. Fun for students, easy for you to implement and an irresistible way to help young minds explore the how materials can be bent, twisted, stretched and broken!
The Complete Year 1 Materials Unit
Bring the fun back into learning about how materials can be changed as you guide your students through the following Australian Curriculum Year 1 Science content descriptors:
– Everyday materials can be physically changed in a variety of ways (ACSSU018)
– Participate in guided investigations to explore and answer questions (ACSIS025)
– Use informal measurements to collect and record observations, using digital technologies as appropriate (ACSIS026)
– Use a range of methods to sort information, including drawings and provided tables and through discussion, compare observations with predictions (ACSIS027)
– Represent and communicate observations and ideas in a variety of ways (ACSIS029)
The content covered in this unit includes:
– What are materials? Identifying different types of materials
– Physically changing materials
– Materials from the Land – exploring how First Nations Australians changed the materials by twisting, bending, etc.
– Changing Shape investigation
“- Purposeful changes – paper plane investigation
– Purposeful changes – Creating Paper Sculptures
– Purposeful changes – Friendship Bracelets
– Assessment: Design a sculpture and/or Changing Materials assessment sheet
Your purchase includes:
– Unit Plan – internet links are provided in some lessons to support the lesson content. Internet connection will be required for these lessons.
– Assessment Rubric
– Activity Bundle – this activity bundle includes a variety of activities including activity sheets, hands-on activities, posters and suggested assessment activities.
If you liked the look of this resource, you may also like these:
— Complete Australian Curriculum Year 1/2 Health Unit Bundle
– Complete Australian Curriculum Year 1 HASS Unit Bundle
– Year 1 Science Unit – Seasonal Changes
Can I share this resource with my teaching partner?
No. This product is for personal use only. Multiple licences are available for use among more than one person.
On what size paper is this resource best printed?
This resource is designed to be printed on A4 sized paper. To fit other paper sizes, ensure you hit ‘fit to page’ before printing.
Have questions about this resource? Find me on social media:
Thank you so much,
This unit plan is a guide only. Teachers should use discretion when implementing. some questions have been provided to help guide students thinking but more specific questions should be added to develop conversation and deeper learning. Students should be encouraged to ask questions themselves as well.
Please note: internet and YouTube access are required to follow the unit plan.
This is a digital product only. It will be sent to you by email to download once payment has been processed.
There are no reviews yet.