This bundle includes the following:
– Year 3 HASS unit – My Place
– Year 4 History unit – The First Fleet
– Year 4 Civics and Citizenship Unit – Local Government
– Year 4 Geography unit – War on Waste Sustainability Unit
– BONUS – Year 3 and 4 HASS Yearly Overview (so you can see at a glance our suggested timing in delivering each unit)
– The importance of Country/Place to Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander Peoples who belong to a local area (ACHASSK062)
– How the community has changed and remained the same over time and the role that people of diverse backgrounds have played in the development and character of the local community (ACHASSK063)
– The representation of Australia as states and territories and as Countries/Places of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples; and major places in Australia, both natural and human (ACHASSK066)
These activities, powerpoints and posters compliment the following Australian Curriculum Year 4 HASS content descriptors:
– Stories of the First Fleet, including reasons for the journey, who travelled to Australia, and their experiences following arrival (ACHASSK085)
– The nature of contact between Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples and others, for example, the Macassans and the Europeans, and the effects of these interactions on, for example, people and environments (ACHASSK086)
– The custodial responsibility Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples have for Country/Place, and how this influences views about sustainability (ACHASSK089)
– The use and management of natural resources and waste, and the different views on how to do this sustainably (ACHASSK090)
Civics and Citizenship
– The role of local government and the decisions it makes on behalf of the community (ACHASSK091)
– The differences between ‘rules’ and ‘laws’, why laws are important and how they affect the lives of people, including experiences of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples (ACHASSK092)
– The different cultural, religious and/or social groups to which they and others in the community belong (ACHASSK093)
Term 1 – War on Waste
– current waste disposal methods around the world.
– compare modern-day land management techniques with that of Australia’s Indigenous Peoples.
– the 3Rs (Reduce, Reuse and Recycle) are discussed extensively to give students a greater understanding of the purpose of such techniques as well as ways they can contribute to waste reduction and management.
Term 2 – Local Government
– What is Local Government?
– What does Local Government do?
– Local Government Elections: how do they work?
– Local Community Groups: social, cultural, religious
Term 3 – My Place
– Identifying First Australians. Connection to Country/Place. Local Indigenous Dialect. Identifying with Place. Posing Questions. Guest Speaker NB this will require prior organisation on behalf of the teacher administering the unit. Suggestions have been made in the unit on how to get in contact with your local Indigenous community. Acknowledgement of Country. Our Community on a Map. Our Community Then/Now. Changes in Communication (optional). Our Community Environment Changes. Influential Community Members.
Term 4 – The First Fleet
– Why the Europeans settled in Australia (Life in 18th century Britain, Crimes, Punishments, Solution, Preparations, Voyage, Convicts, Arrival)
– Life in Sydney Cove (Food, Clothing, Work, Daily Life, Accommodation)
Please feel free to contact me with any questions.
Thank you so much,