Persuasive Writing Year 5 Unit Plan and Activities
Help your students understand the features of persuasive writing with this unit plan and activity bundle. Bring your writing lessons to life as the unit plan walks you through everything you need to thoroughly cover the AC9E5LA03 , AC9E5LA04, AC9E5LA08, AC9E5LE02, AC9E5LE03, AC9E5LY02, AC9E5LY03, AC9E5LY05 and AC9E5LY07 elements of the Australian Year 5 English curriculum (version 9.0). Fun for students, easy for you to implement and an irresistible way to help budding authors write an effective persuasive piece that will convince their audience of their point of view!
The Complete Year 5 Persuasive Writing Unit
Bring the fun back into learning about persuasive writing as you guide your students through the following Australian Curriculum (version 9.0) Year 5 English content descriptors:
– Understand how texts can be made cohesive by using the starting point of a sentence or paragraph to give prominence to the message and to guide the reader through the text AC9E5LA04
– Use appropriate interaction skills including paraphrasing and questioning to clarify meaning, make connections to own experience, and present and justify an opinion or idea AC9E5LY02
– Explain characteristic features used in imaginative, informative and persuasive texts to meet the purpose of the text AC9E5LY03
– Use comprehension strategies such as visualising, predicting, connecting, summarising, monitoring and questioning to build literal and inferred meaning to evaluate information and ideas AC9E5LY05
The content covered in this unit includes:
– Persuasive purpose
– Facts and Opinions
– Modality words
– Rule of three
– Points of view
– Emotive language
– Rhetorical Questions
– Assessment: Students create a TV advertisement or a blog to support their point of view on a particular health matter (this assessment is linked to the Year 5/6 Health unit – Health Habits – the assessment and associated activity sheets can still be used if you are not wanting to link the unit to this topic)
Your purchase includes:
– Unit Plan – this unit follows a scaffolded literacy approach where by rich texts are used to model writing skills. Some internet links are provided in some lessons to support the lesson content. In particular, links to the suggested literature (being read out loud) in the unit have been included, in case you don’t have access to a hard copy of the book. Internet connection will be required for these lessons.
– Assessment Rubric
– Activity Bundle – this activity bundle includes a variety of activities including activity sheets, hands-on activities, posters and a suggested assessment activity.
– Assessment Rubric Template – students use the templates to add their own information report to, or use their own creativity to create their own powerpoints.
If you liked the look of this resource, you may also like these:
— Complete Australian Curriculum Year 5/6 Health Unit Bundle
– Complete Australian Curriculum Year 5 HASS Unit Bundle
– Complete Australian Curriculum Year 5 Science Unit Bundle
How many lessons are included in this unit?
There are 20 lessons in this unit. It is anticipated that each lesson would go for about 1 hour and that you would teach two lessons a week.
Can I share this resource with my teaching partner?
No. This product is for personal use only. Multiple licences are available for use among more than one person.
On what size paper is this resource best printed?
This resource is designed to be printed on A4 sized paper. To fit other paper sizes, ensure you hit ‘fit to page’ before printing.
Have questions about this resource? Find me on social media:
Thank you so much,
This unit plan is a guide only. Teachers should use discretion when implementing. some questions have been provided to help guide students thinking but more specific questions should be added to develop conversation and deeper learning. Students should be encouraged to ask questions themselves as well.
Please note: internet and YouTube access are required to follow the unit plan.
This is a digital product only. It will be sent to you by email to download once payment has been processed.
There are no reviews yet.