Perimeter and Area Year 5 Unit Plan and Activities
Help your students learn how to calculate perimeter and area with this unit plan and activity bundle. Bring your maths lessons to life as the unit plan walks you through everything you need to thoroughly cover the AC9M5M02 element of the Australian Year 5 Maths curriculum (version 9.0). Fun for students, easy for you to implement and an irresistible way to help budding mathematicians learn how to solve perimeter and area problems using regular and irregular shapes!
The Complete Year 5 Perimeter and Area Maths Unit
Bring the fun back into learning about perimeter and area as you guide your students through the following Australian Curriculum (version 9.0) Year 5 Maths content descriptor:
– Solve practical problems involving the perimeter and area of regular and irregular shapes using appropriate metric units (AC9M5M02)
The content and activities covered in this unit includes:
– Calculating Perimeters
– Finding Missing Lengths in Perimeter problems
– Calculating Areas
– Finding Missing Lengths in Area problems
Your purchase includes:
– Unit Plan – including 10 detailed lessons intended to be taught over two weeks, including suggested rotation activities and options for extension or alternatives for home education contexts.
– Assessment Rubric
– Activity Bundle – this activity bundle includes a variety of activities including activity sheets, hands-on activities and suggested assessment activities (including test papers and checklists).
– Supporting Powerpoint – to be used to guide your teaching and support your student’s learning.
If you liked the look of this resource, you may also like these:
— Complete Australian Curriculum Year 5/6 Health Unit Bundle
– Complete Australian Curriculum Year 5 HASS Unit Bundle
– Complete Australian Curriculum Year 5 Science Unit Bundle
Can I share this resource with my teaching partner?
No. This product is for personal use only. Multiple licences are available for use among more than one person.
On what size paper is this resource best printed?
This resource is designed to be printed on A4 sized paper. To fit other paper sizes, ensure you hit ‘fit to page’ before printing.
Thank you so much,
This unit plan is a guide only. Teachers should use discretion when implementing. some questions have been provided to help guide students thinking but more specific questions should be added to develop conversation and deeper learning. Students should be encouraged to ask questions themselves as well.
Please note: internet and YouTube access are required to follow the unit plan.
This is a digital product only. It will be sent to you by email to download once payment has been processed.