Fairy Tales Year 2 Unit Plan and Activities
Help your students understand the basic features of a fairy tale with this unit plan and activity bundle based on the story: The Gigantic Turnip. Bring your writing lessons to life as the unit plan walks you through everything you need to thoroughly cover the AC9E2LA03, AC9E2LA09, AC9E2LA10, AC9E2LE02, AC9E2LY03, AC9E2LY08, AC9E2LY11 element of the Australian Year 2 English curriculum (version 9.0). Fun for students, easy for you to implement and an irresistible way to help budding authors write a fractured fairy tale that is bound to excite their reader!
The Complete Year 4 Narrative Writing Unit
Bring the fun back into learning about fairy tales as you guide your students through the following Australian Curriculum (version 9.0) Year 2 English content descriptors:
– Identify how texts across the curriculum are organised differently and use language features depending on purposes AC9E2LA03
– Experiment with and begin to make conscious choices of vocabulary to suit the topic AC9E2LA09
– Recognise that capital letters are used in titles and commas are used to separate items in lists AC9E2LA10
– Identify features of literary texts, such as characters and settings, and give reasons for personal preferences AC9E2LE02
– Identify the purpose and audience of imaginative, informative and persuasive texts. AC9E2LY03
– Write words legibly and with growing fluency using unjoined upper-case and lower-case letters AC9E2LY08
– Use knowledge of spelling patterns and morphemes to read and write words whose spelling is not completely predictable from their sounds, Including high-frequency words AC9E2LY11
The content covered in this unit includes:
– Fairy Tale Basics
– Deconstruct a Fairy Tale
– Establishing a Setting
– Starting a Fairy Tale
– Repetition and Rhythm
– Problems and Solutions
– Writing a Plot
– Fairy Tale Endings
Your purchase includes:
– Unit Plan – this unit follows a scaffolded literacy approach where by rich texts are used to model writing skills. Some internet links are provided in some lessons to support the lesson content. In particular, links to the suggested literature (being read out loud) in the unit have been included, in case you don’t have access to a hard copy of the book. Internet connection will be required for these lessons.
– Assessment Rubric
– Activity Bundle – this activity bundle includes a variety of activities including activity sheets, hands-on activities, posters and a suggested assessment activity.
If you liked the look of this resource, you may also like these:
— Complete Australian Curriculum Year 1/2 Health Unit Bundle
– Complete Australian Curriculum Year 2 HASS Unit Bundle
– Complete Australian Curriculum Year 2 Science Unit Bundle
How many lessons are included in this unit?
There are 20 lessons in this unit. It is anticipated that each lesson would go for about 45 mins – 1 hour. It is also anticipated that time would be allowed for two lessons per week.
Can I share this resource with my teaching partner?
No. This product is for personal use only. Multiple licences are available for use among more than one person.
On what size paper is this resource best printed?
This resource is designed to be printed on A4 sized paper. To fit other paper sizes, ensure you hit ‘fit to page’ before printing.
Thank you so much,
This unit plan is a guide only. Teachers should use discretion when implementing. some questions have been provided to help guide students thinking but more specific questions should be added to develop conversation and deeper learning. Students should be encouraged to ask questions themselves as well.
Please note: internet and YouTube access are required to follow the unit plan.
This is a digital product only. It will be sent to you by email to download once payment has been processed.