Persuasive Writing Year 1 Unit Plan and Activities
Help your students understand the basic features of a persuasive text with this unit plan and activity bundle. Bring your writing lessons to life as the unit plan walks you through everything you need to thoroughly cover the (AC9E1LA03, AC9E1LA06, AC9E1LA10, AC9E1LE02, AC9E1LY01, AC9E1LY03, AC9E1LY08, AC9E1LY13, AC9E1LY14) element of the Australian Year 1 English curriculum (version 9.0). Fun for students, easy for you to implement and an irresistible way to help budding authors write a basic persuasive text linked to the Health curriculum!
The Complete Year 1 Persuasive Writing Unit
Bring the fun back into learning about persuasive writing as you guide your students through the following Australian Curriculum (version 9.0) Year 1 English content descriptors:
– Explore how texts are organised according to their purpose, such as to recount, narrate, express opinion, inform, report and explain AC9E1LA03
– Understand that a simple sentence consists of a single independent clause representing a single event or idea AC9E1LA06
“- Understand that written language uses punctuation such as full stops, question marks and exclamation marks, and uses capital letters for familiar proper nouns AC9E1LA10
– Discuss literary texts and share responses by making connections with students’ own experiences AC9E1LE02
– Discuss different texts and identify some features that indicate their purposes AC9E1LY01
– Describe some similarities and differences between imaginative, informative and persuasive texts AC9E1LY03
– Write words using unjoined lower-case and upper-case letters AC9E1LY08
– Spell one- and two-syllable words with common letter patterns AC9E1LY13
– Read and write an increasing number of high-frequency words AC9E1LY14
The content covered in this unit includes:
– Facts vs Opinions
– Text Structure
– Stating an Opinion
– Strong Conclusions
– Assessment option: Students design a healthy cereal based on what they have been learning in Health and then write a persuasive text on why their cereal is the best.
Your purchase includes:
– Unit Plan – this unit follows a scaffolded literacy approach where by rich texts as used to model writing skills. Some internet links are provided in some lessons to support the lesson content. In particular, links to the suggested literature (being read out loud) in the unit have been included, in case you don’t have access to a hard copy of the book. Internet connection will be required for these lessons.
– Assessment Rubric
– Activity Bundle – this activity bundle includes a variety of activities including activity sheets, hands-on activities, posters and a suggested assessment activity.
If you liked the look of this resource, you may also like these:
— Complete Australian Curriculum Year 1/2 Health Unit Bundle
– Complete Australian Curriculum Year 1 HASS Unit Bundle
– Complete Australian Curriculum Year 1 Science Unit Bundle
Can I share this resource with my teaching partner?
No. This product is for personal use only. Multiple licences are available for use among more than one person.
On what size paper is this resource best printed?
This resource is designed to be printed on A4 sized paper. To fit other paper sizes, ensure you hit ‘fit to page’ before printing.
Have questions about this resource? Find me on social media:
Thank you so much,
This unit plan is a guide only. Teachers should use discretion when implementing. some questions have been provided to help guide students thinking but more specific questions should be added to develop conversation and deeper learning. Students should be encouraged to ask questions themselves as well.
Please note: internet and YouTube access are required to follow the unit plan.
This is a digital product only. It will be sent to you by email to download once payment has been processed.
There are no reviews yet.