Poetry Unit Plan and Activities
Introduce your students to the world of poetry with this fun unit plan and activity bundle. Bring your writing lessons to life as the unit plan walks you through everything you need to thoroughly cover the AC9EFLA06 , AC9EFLA08, AC9EFLY01, AC9EFLE04, AC9EFLE05, AC9EFLY04, AC9EFLY09 elements of the Australian Foundation English curriculum (version 9.0). Fun for students, easy for you to implement and an irresistible way for students to learn how to write their first poem by modelling it off a nursery rhyme!
The Complete Foundation Poetry Writing Unit
Bring the fun back into learning about poetry as you guide your students through the following Australian Curriculum (version 9.0) Foundation English content descriptors:
– Recognise that sentences are made up of groups of words that work together in particular ways to make meaning AC9EFLA06
– Recognise and develop awareness of vocabulary used in familiar contexts related to everyday experiences, personal interests and topics taught at school AC9EFLA08
– Share ideas about stories, poems and images in literature, reflecting on experiences that are similar or different to their own by engaging with texts by First Nations Australian, and wide-ranging Australian and world authors and illustrators AC9EFLE01
– Explore and replicate the rhythms and sound patterns of literary texts such as poems, rhymes and songs AC9EFLE04
– Retell and adapt familiar literary texts through play, performance, images or writing AC9EFLE05
– Read decodable and authentic texts using developing phonic knowledge, and monitor meaning using context and emerging grammatical knowledge AC9EFLY04
– Recognise and generate rhyming words, alliteration patterns, syllables and sounds (phonemes) in spoken words (phonological awareness) AC9EFLY09
The content covered in this unit includes:
– Rhyme – identify, hear, write
– Assessment: students write their own nursery rhyme based on the format of ‘One, Two, Buckle my shoe.’
Your purchase includes:
– Unit Plan – this unit follows a scaffolded literacy approach where by rich texts are used to model writing skills. Some internet links are provided in some lessons to support the lesson content. In particular, links to the suggested literature (being read out loud) in the unit have been included, in case you don’t have access to a hard copy of the book. Internet connection will be required for these lessons.
– Assessment Rubric
– Activity Bundle – this activity bundle includes a variety of activities including activity sheets, hands-on activities, posters and a suggested assessment activity.
If you liked the look of this resource, you may also like these:
— Complete Australian Curriculum Foundation Health Unit Bundle
– Complete Australian Curriculum Foundation HASS Unit Bundle
– Complete Australian Curriculum Foundation Science Unit Bundle
How many lessons are included in this unit?
There are 40 lessons in this unit. It is anticipated that each lesson would go for about 30 – 45 mins. It is also anticipated that time would be allowed for four small lessons per week.
Can I share this resource with my teaching partner?
No. This product is for personal use only. Multiple licences are available for use among more than one person.
On what size paper is this resource best printed?
This resource is designed to be printed on A4 sized paper. To fit other paper sizes, ensure you hit ‘fit to page’ before printing.
Have questions about this resource? Find me on social media:
Thank you so much,
This unit plan is a guide only. Teachers should use discretion when implementing. some questions have been provided to help guide students thinking but more specific questions should be added to develop conversation and deeper learning. Students should be encouraged to ask questions themselves as well.
Please note: internet and YouTube access are required to follow the unit plan.
This is a digital product only. It will be sent to you by email to download once payment has been processed.
There are no reviews yet.